Step 5 is logistics.
Once you have begun praying, have consulted your pastor and other godly prayer warriors, and secured your funding ($1500-1700 depending on how long you are staying and whether or not you are going on an animal safari), it is time to arrange the logistics of the trip.
1. You need to consult the Safari Guide at your church when you have received approval of your Gospel Safari application. The Safari Guide at your church will be able to guide you in this process. They are Kenya Baptist Ministry’s point of contact within your congregation. They are trained on this process and have a direct line to us. Find out who that is and make sure you know the dates that your group is coming. If you are traveling solo, without anyone else from your church or from a church that is not a part of our Safari Guide program, we are your guides. Please connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to begin arranging the logistics of your trip. We will let you know the dates that you can come and help you the rest of the way.
2. Pay Your Safari Fee
- Go to kbmgo.org.
- Click on Get Involved button in the top right corner
- Scroll down to the Panel with Pray, Give, and Visit side by side.
- Click on Give.
- Pay $200 for every week you are going to be with us.
- Pay $100 if you are going on an animal safari with us.
3. You need to apply or renew your passport. If your passport is within eight months of expiring from the time of your return flight, it needs to be renewed before you come. To renew your passport,
- Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
- Print your completed application. DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. …
- Have a passport photo taken. …
- Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
- Calculate your fees.
- Go to a USPS office or city government office near you where they offer passport services.
4. Using your valid passport, purchase a round trip ticket to Nairobi. Kayak.com and other similar sites are good places to search for cheap fairs. We recommend British Airways Flights. BA flies a route from Phoenix to London, and then London to Nairobi. Phoenix is easy and cheap to get to from most any major city in the western US using Southwest. Delta and American also fly to Nairobi. Emirates fly to Nairobi East to West unlike the others. They fly from Huston to Dubai to Nairobi. They are a bit costlier, but they have excellent customer service and excellent flight service.
If you need help booking, please contact us at email@example.com. We can connect you with an excellent travel agency that can do all of this for you. And we will do what we can to help you as well.
5. After your passport and flight are taken care of, you will need to purchase your visa. You can purchase your visa online at http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html. Follow the instructions on the website to obtain a single entry visa. It costs $51. Once you print your visa PDF, you will take that same document with you to Kenya. If you cannot obtain an eVisa, you will have an opportunity to purchase one at the customs desk in Nairobi’s airport for $50 (you will need cash in exact change).
6. Obtain any of the desired vaccinations you and your doctor determine you need before you go. The state department has recommendations at the following page: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/kenya. My wife and I do not get any vaccinations when traveling besides the ones we recieved as kids, and we do well. Yellow fever is not an issue here. Malaria is non-existent in Nairobi due to the elevation. We will provide malaria pills on the ground when you get here for when we go outside of the city. Please do what you believe is right.
After all of those boxes are checked, you are now logistically ready for your Gospel Safari. All that is left to do is pack and come.
Ready to get involved?
Partner with us in spreading Gospel seeds in Kenya